Welcome to Shoreham Academy – a unique, successful and dynamic school at the heart of the communities of Shoreham and Southwick. The moment you walk through the door at Shoreham Academy you can feel the buzz, energy and excitement of an inclusive school that focuses on the enrichment, enhancement and learning of all children.
We are an 11-18, non-selective academy where everyone – staff and students alike – strive to be the best they can be. We see each child as an individual and seek to give them an education which best suits their abilities and interests. As adults we also see ourselves as a work in progress and invest heavily in our own professional development in order to remain challenged by what we do and inspirational in what we can give. We seek to employ enthusiastic, dynamic and inspiring staff to join us in working creatively with our young people and enabling them all to achieve great things.
We focus on nurturing the whole child; our broad and balanced curriculum is complemented by a wide-ranging and exciting programme of extracurricular activities. There is something for every child at Shoreham Academy – whatever their interests, whatever their abilities. All students participate in the Shoreham Academy Experience with the expectation of fulfilling a number of ‘pledges’ in preparation for adult life.
We are part of United Learning, whose vision and commitment is to develop ‘the best in everyone’. United Learning's wealth of experience and expertise in education helps us to bring out the best in our students and our colleagues.
Having moved into completely new buildings in 2012 with a further multi-purpose hall which opened in May 2017, we can promise the very best facilities and an outstanding learning environment in which to work.
t is a pleasure and a privilege to be the Principal of this exceptional school community. Why not come and see for yourself? Staff and students are rightly proud of our academy and welcome potential applicants at all times.
Jim Coupe, Principal at Shoreham Academy
‘Great school, great education and great community’ encapsulates our Academy vision statement.
As a school of first choice within the local communities of Shoreham and Southwick, we continue to surpass the educational achievements of our competitors, whilst at the same time remain true to our fully inclusive nature. We provide an education that adds value to each and every one of our students, with no child being left behind.
We achieve this by:
- building success on the core values of ambition, respect, determination, creativity, and enthusiasm, within a modern, hi-tech learning environment;
- ensuring that teaching and learning is motivating, challenging, and gives rise to excellent progress for all our children;
- promoting a love for lifelong learning that goes beyond the school gate;
- preparing children to think as global citizens and not to limit their life chances;
- becoming a centre of educational excellence stretching beyond our local community.
- “Settling in at Shoreham has been easy. Staff are so helpful and the Senior Team is extremely supportive. The academy is very well run, and it is easy to see why Ofsted graded it ‘Outstanding’.
“Working in a new building is wonderful; the well-considered design contributes to calm corridors, and it is all a million miles away from the stereotypical image of portacabins, leaky ceilings and lack of space."
Geography Teacher, First Year at Shoreham Academy
- I have worked at Shoreham Academy for 8 years now. The main reason I have remained is due to the people around me. In every department, whether it be teaching or admin, the staff here are just fantastic. I have always felt a valued member of the team and as such I have been supported in my professional development every step of the way.’
Long-standing Member of Support Staff
Since I began working for Shoreham Academy I have always been given a huge amount support and advice from my colleagues and Line Managers. I have been given the opportunity to go on school trips, take training courses and have had hugely enjoyable three years working here with hopefully many more to come. Shoreham Academy have provided me with opportunities to help towards training to be a Chemistry teacher and hopefully that will begin in September 2018.
Member of Support Staff looking to move into teaching
Shoreham Academy, which opened in September 2009, is located in Shoreham by Sea, on the coast of West Sussex just 14 minutes from the vibrant and exciting city of Brighton. We are part of United Learning, one of the most established multi-academy trusts in the UK. In March 2012, we moved into a fantastic £32 million new building which offers outstanding facilities for staff and students and a further multi-purpose hall opened in May 2017.
We seek to employ enthusiastic, dynamic and inspiring staff to join us in working creatively with our young people to raise standards and enable them all to achieve great things. In return we offer a supportive and stimulating environment with a comprehensive CPD programme and opportunities for further career advancement.
We recognise that it is not just the pay but also what other benefits you receive by being part of United Learning. That is why in addition to your basic pay, we offer a package of core benefits which includes:
- A contributory pension scheme, relevant to your role including access to Teacher and Local Government Schemes and our Group pension scheme in partnership with Legal and General (available options subject to position);
- Occupational sick pay;
- Leading maternity, paternity and adoption benefits;
- Tailored Continuous Professional Development (CPD) through the United Learning Institute.
As an employee of United Learning, you have access to a range of benefits, from great discounts with Kids Pass and Tastecard, opportunities to get fit with our GymFlex and Cycle2Work programmes, and a range of health and lifestyle benefits including childcare vouchers, car lease schemes, health and dental plans and travel insurance. These benefits are paid for directly from your monthly pay.
In addition to the wide range of flexible benefits you are able to purchase through United Rewards, you also have access to hundreds of retail discounts. Save up to 10% on brands at John Lewis, Waitrose, Apple, Sainsbury's, Currys PC World, Debenhams, Boots, B&Q and many more, as well as at restaurants such as Café Rouge, Bella Italia and All Bar One. Additionally, throughout the year, many other one-off offers will become available such as holiday and computer discounts.
Shoreham by Sea is:
- Situated on a mainline railway, an hour away from London and just 14 minutes from Brighton;
- Located near a dual carriageway making commuting by car easy from east and west;
- Home to some of the most reasonable house prices for purchase or rent along the Brighton stretch of the south coast;
- A stone’s throw from some of the most popular beach resorts in the country;
- Overlooking part of Britain’s newest national park, the South Downs Country Park;
- A great place to live and work.
By joining Shoreham Academy you will also become part of United Learning - a unique group of independent and state schools working together to bring out the best in everyone. Our vision is to provide excellent education, which prepares young people to progress in learning and to make a success of their lives. United Learning focuses sharply on the evidence of what makes it more likely that young people will progress and succeed, apply that to classroom practice, allowing schools to continue to learn and develop. It is a priority to provide teachers with excellent professional support and development, so that every child receives an excellent experience.
The approach is underpinned by a sense of moral purpose and commitment to doing what is right for children and young people, supporting colleagues to achieve excellence and acting with integrity in all our dealings within and beyond the organisation, in the interests of young people everywhere.
The development programmes offer access to tailor-made training no matter your career stage, alongside unrivalled opportunities for your career development across both the maintained and independent sectors. The Performance and Development Reviews (PDR) encompass personal aspiration, impact on pupil achievement and identification of continuous professional development and training that is right for you and your future. For more information please visit our dedicated careers site.